SBE News

Capitol Connection #1113

Process. It seems life is about learning the process. For contractors dealing with complex rules and interpretations of regulations that’s a high-level learning curve! That’s why expert assistance is always helpful when it’s your turn to learn. Process this…

Q:  As you know, you very recently submitted an application for our company to obtain a CA Contractor’s License.  We are trying to be proactive…can we send our Officers out to California to get fingerprinted right away?

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol Connection

A:  No, you cannot.  The Officers will need to wait to receive the paperwork from the CSLB (Live Scan request forms) to bring with them to get fingerprinted.

Q:  I am in the process of obtaining my NV Contractor’s license.  Regarding the financial statement required, do I provide my personal financial statement or a corporate financial statement, since that is the company obtaining the license and the entity performing contracts?

A:  The financial statement must be for the applying entity, so yes, you would provide your corporate financials.

Q:  I own a small window and door manufacturing business. I currently sub-contract out all of our installations but would eventually like to get a license to do installations myself.  I know I can study and pass the exams. My main hurdle is getting signed off on qualifying experience.  I don’t have a General Contractor who can certify my experience.  Do you have any advice on that?

A:  Anyone who has first-hand knowledge of your work experience can sign to certify your work experience.  While it’s best to have your employer sign, it’s not necessary for your employer or a General Contractor to complete your Certification of Work Experience page.

Q:  My firm has worked with you over the years and I have a client who is going to be doing a large project in CA.  They are a Delaware corporation, and they have a Responsible Managing Employee (RME) who currently has his license on Inactive status.  Based on that, about how long will it take for them to obtain a Contractor’s License?

A: It will depend on fingerprinting, but assuming there are no issues with that, it will take approximately 6-8 weeks.  We’d be happy to assist you with the process.

Q:  We have a pending application in the works.  Our CSLB technician sent us a letter stating the only item she needs to issue the license is a Disassociation Notice from our RME, removing himself from the company he formally worked for.  He is out of the country for several weeks and we don’t have access to his signature.  Do they absolutely need that signed notice, or would it be enough for us (or you) to just notify the CSLB verbally that he is no longer with that company?

A:  The CSLB will absolutely need that signed Disassociation Notice in order to remove him from that license and issue your company license. It’s a process!

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at