GSBE Update 2/01/2021
Please find attached the most recent leg report of bills introduced to date that may impact the construction industry. We will continue to review these bills and work with our industry partners to provide recommendations on positions when deemed appropriate.
BIDEN TOUGHENS BUY AMERICAN RULES
President Biden signed an executive order aimed at increasing gov purchases of American-made products. The revised policies, which will apply to the administration’s plans for infrastructure and energy projects, will have ramifications for construction firms that do business with the federal government. While government purchases are only a small fraction of the U.S. economy — about $586 billion in fiscal 2019, according to the Government Accountability Office — Biden said the move will help forward his agenda to create good-paying union jobs for American workers and stimulate the U.S. economy.
EVICTION MORATORIUM LEGISLATION INTRODUCED
State leaders have introduce legislation extending CA’s eviction moratorium to June 30, 2021. The agreement allocates $2.6 billion to tenants to pay off unpaid rental debt and offers 80% payment of outstanding rent to landlords who forgive remaining 20% tenant debt, among other protections and policies. This legislation will be included in the emergency budget that will be taken up this Thursday. Read more.
TAKE A LOOK AT THE RESULTS 2021 BUSINESS LEADERS’ OUTLOOK SURVEY
JPMorgan’s 2021 Business Leaders’ Outlook Survey uncovers insights from business leaders across California and the U.S. about the impact of the pandemic’s disruptions, the actions they’re taking to survive—and even thrive—in the current environment and their outlook for the year ahead. Executives and companies have been remarkably resilient despite the turbulent year. Read more.
The Newsom Administration announced major changes to the vaccine delivery system that will affect the vaccine rollout in the state.
Beginning in mid-February, the state will implement a statewide standard under which the following groups will be eligible to make appointments to receive the vaccine, pending vaccine availability. These are the groups identified in Phase 1B, Tier 1.
- Health care workers;
- Individuals 65+;
- Education and childcare workers;
- Emergency services personnel;
- Food and agriculture workers.
Future groups will become eligible based on age. This statewide standard will move in unison across all 58 counties. This will allow the state to scale capacity up while also ensuring the vaccine goes to disproportionately impacted communities. Vaccines will no longer be available based on industry and there will no longer be a “tier” system.