The EXECUTIVE SUMMARY #15
Stillwater Park…Still Possible!
Last week, the Grand Jury released a report about the progress, or lack thereof, in developing Stillwater Park. I believe the Grand Jury gave a fair and balanced account of the concept behind Stillwater and the challenges it faces today. This is information that the community deserves to have.
That being said, we, as a community, really need to think this through.
- We do NOT need another polarizing issue…let’s try to work together on this
- The Great Recession happened…and left economic carnage in its wake.
- California is now and has been for quite awhile, a difficult state in which to do business. We have to work through this.
- Stillwater Park is well designed for both large office development and general industrial. All sites are 2.5 miles from Interstate 5 and adjacent to the Redding Municipal Airport.
- Manufacturing is a major economic driver.
- The EDC is focused on bringing business to the park.
- Once we limit incessant bad press and focus on the abundance of good things that happen here, Shasta County is an excellent place to live and work.
I certainly appreciate that Stillwater Park is an expensive investment for the taxpayers (one of which I am). But, as with many investments, success and sustainability come in the long term. Let’s continue to train our workforce, create an environment in local government conducive to investment, and encourage businesses to be part of the North State…the best part of California! Stillwater Park…Still Possible
Read the 2016-2017 Grand Jury report here. PDF.
Images by City of Redding