SBE News

Capitol Connection 8/19/2019

What do you do when your employee number is up? Don’t worry no one was hurt in writing this question, but if they were this is an important answer to know. Another contractor got a ‘concrete’ answer from his legal expert, but this licensing expert has to break it up… 

Q:  I am a licensed contractor and I plan to hire several new employees.  Do I need to report the number of employees to the CSLB for any reason?

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol Connection

A:  No, the CSLB does not require that you report new employees.  The only time you need to notify the CSLB of personnel changes is if the officers on record with the CSLB change, if your qualifier changes, or if you go from no employees (in which case you would likely have an Exemption from Worker’s Compensation on file, to employing CA workers (in which case you would need to have a Worker’s Compensation Insurance certificate on file with the CSLB).

Q:  I currently have a Sole Proprietor General Building (“B”) license that’s been Inactive for about three years now.  I want to add the “C-8” (Concrete) classification to my license in order to obtain a separate Concrete license for a Partnership that I am starting with my business associate.

My attorney said I may be able to Waive the Trade exam based on my General Building license if I can show that concrete has been a significant portion of my work for five out of the last seven years.  What does the CSLB consider acceptable documentation to prove my concrete experience?

A:   Your attorney is referring to B&P Code Section 7065.3, which allows for a Waiver of the Trade exam when adding a classification to your license if you meet the requirements.  As your attorney stated, one of the requirements is the classification needs to be closely related to your current classification and it must have been a significant portion of the work you performed for five out of the last seven years.  So sorry, since your license has been Inactive for three years now, there is no way for you to document using your General Building license for performing Concrete work as required. 

Q:  I currently have a “C-61”/”D-06” (Concrete related services) license in CA.  My company does concrete pumping.  We have some potential work in Nevada.  I have reviewed Nevada’s classification list and it doesn’t appear that they have anything that is equivalent.  Do I even need a license to perform this work in Nevada?

A:  Thank you for contacting us.  If all you are doing is delivering and pumping from the truck then no, a contractor’s license is not required in Nevada.