SBE News

Capitol Connection #1122

We begin at ‘zero’ with our first contractor Q/A. Another contractor adds ‘one’ to our active look at licensing law.  I will ‘second’ the motion suggested for a NV question, while our last inquiry needs ‘three’ trades to be successful, ‘generally’…

Q:  I am an attorney and my client is purchasing a construction business.  He has never been licensed and doesn’t quite have the requisite experience, so the seller is going to be the Qualifier on the new license.  It will be a Limited Liability Company (LLC).  Is there a requirement for the seller to have ownership in the company?

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol Connection

A:  No, it is not a requirement for the seller to have ownership in the LLC.  With zero percent ownership, the seller can only Qualify one active license at a time.

Q:  What do I need to do to add a ‘dba’ or Doing Business As, to my license?

A:  You need to complete and submit a Name Change application.  Additionally, the CSLB just recently started to require that when a Contractor will be using a dba, they must show proof of the dba registration with the County.

Q:  A long time ago (2009-10) you assisted us with some license applications in California and Nevada.  We currently have a “C-1” license in Nevada (Plumbing and Heating).  We want to start a fire sprinkler division in Nevada.  I did some research on the Nevada State Contractors Board Web site, and found the following: “The fabrication and installation of all systems of sprinklers for protection from fire, including the appurtenance, is a sub-classification (“C-1b”) of the “C-1” Plumbing and heating contracting license,” and “The Board will grant to qualified applicants a license in the specialty of plumbing and heating contracting. The Board designates such a license as a “classification “C-1” license. A person who holds a classification C-1 license may perform any of the work authorized for the sub-classifications of the classification “C-1” license.” 

This sounds like we are already authorized to do fire sprinkler work in Nevada under our “C-1” license, but I need verification of that.

A:  You are correct!  The C-1 allows you to perform any and all of the sub-classifications, which includes Boilers (C-1a), Fire Sprinklers (C-1b), Insulation of Pipes and Ducts (C-1c), Plumbing (C-1d), Sheet Metal (C-1e), Heating, Cooling and Circulating Air (C-1f), Pipes and Vents for Gas (C-1g), Water Heaters (C-1h), Chilled-Water Piping (C-1i), Systems to Replenish Breathing Air for Firefighters (C-1j), and Industrial Piping C-1k).

Q:  I currently have a Fencing license.  I would like to obtain a General Building license.  What are your thoughts on the difficulty of adding a “B” classification to my license?

A:  You will likely have to provide the CSLB with further documentation (beyond the standard Certification of Work Experience page) showing that you were performing “B” work with a fencing license.  Remember it has to be four years of full-time work doing General Building work (which must include framing and at least two unrelated trades).

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at