SBE News

Capitol Connection #1102

A couple of ‘gentleman’ contractors start us off, one is a ‘responsible’ father and another is an ‘Officer also’. An answer that is a reminder to all about subs, and an ‘alphanumeric’ comparison of CA and NV licensing…

Capitol Connection CSLB AnswersQ:  My Dad currently is the Responsible Managing Officer (RMO) on our Contractor’s license.  I want to get my own license just have in case anything were to happen to Dad.  If I were to apply towards the end of the year, when can I expect to test?  Does the CSLB schedule it and are there certain dates?

A:  The CSLB will schedule your test date.  They give the exams Monday thru Friday, and they will schedule it about three weeks out from the time they approve your application.

Q:  We have a pending application for a Contractor’s license for our Limited Liability Company (LLC), and we have submitted all required documents including insurance certificates, bonds, etc.  It just occurred to me that our Qualifying Individual is an RMO with the title of “Vice President”.  Are we going to be required to list him on our Statement of Information as Vice President before they will issue the license?

A:  No.  Officers of an LLC are not required to be listed on the Statement of Information on file with the Secretary of State.

Q:  We have a “C-10” (Electrical) license and we install solar panels on residential homes.  In such cases where a customer needs a new roof in order to install the solar panels, are we permitted to sub-contract the roof installation to a licensed “C-39” (Roofing) contractor?

A:  No, again.  It is not appropriate for a “C-10” contractor to subcontract for a new roof installation.  The customer will need to contract directly with the Roofing (“C-39”) contractor.  Contractors can only subcontract work they can also perform.

Q:  I am a Nevada contractor and I am interested in getting licensed in California.  In Nevada, I hold an “A-17” license.  Nevada’s definition of an “A-17” (Lines to Transmit Electricity) is: “the installation, alteration and repair of primary overhead line which transmit electricity, including the erection of poles, towers, anchors, guys, transformers, substations, circuit breakers and any other related hardware, equipment or systems.”  What would California’s equivalent license be?

A:  You can do all of the work described with the exception of substations with a “C-10” Electrical license.  If you intend on doing substations in addition to the other work described, you would need to obtain a CA “A” General Engineering license.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at