SBE News

Capitol Connection #1101

Moving things forward at a more rapid pace is one of the keys to our being experts in contractor assistance. Because when speed is of the essence, it likely wouldn’t be contractor’s licensing we were talking about! Plan ahead seems like good advice in any case. In another case, when some things sound the same, they really aren’t. We finalize this time with an ‘either/or’ choice that may be a headache any way…

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol ConnectionQ:  I am going to be the RMO (Responsible Managing Officer) for a new company we are forming.  I understand the process for that to happen takes at least eight weeks.  Would it be quicker if I obtained a Sole Proprietor license first and then later attached it to the company?  I want to have my own license anyway in case I ever leave the company.  We are just looking for the quickest route so we can bid on work next month if possible.

A:  Whether you apply as a sole proprietor or as a corporation/LLC, the process will be about the same amount of time to obtain the license.  In fact, applying as a sole proprietor and then applying under your company name will only add more time to the process if your eventual goal is to license the company.  If timing is an issue for the company, I would suggest obtaining a license for the company first, and then you can obtain your own sole proprietor license afterwards without needing to re-test or get fingerprinted again.  If you don’t intend on using your personal license right away, you will not need to get a bond and you can have it issued inactive.

Q:  We are in the process of replacing our Qualifying Individual and the CSLB is requesting a $12,500 Bond of Qualifying Individual.  We already have one on file for our current Qualifier.  Is it necessary to get a new one, or can we just have the CSLB transfer the existing Qualifier bond?

A: Contractor’s bonds and Qualifier bonds are not transferrable, so you will need to obtain a new bond for your new Qualifier (assuming he/she owns less than 10% of the company).

Q:  I am a Solar contractor and I have a “B” General Building license.  Most of my experience comes from working for my Dad, who was also a General Building contractor.  I specifically did Solar work for him and when I obtained my license, I was told I could do it with a General Building license since Solar is considered two unrelated trades. Which is why I went ahead with the “B”.  However, some of my customers have chosen “C-46” (Solar) contractors over me for projects, solely due to the classification on our licenses.  I was curious as to whether I could get a Waiver of the”C-46” exam based on my current license?  I know I can pass the test, but it’s obviously easier and less headache for me if I don’t have to!

A:  You can always request a Waiver, we can assist with that.  You can request a Waiver of the Trade exam if you have an existing license in which you can document the classification you are adding is closely related and a significant portion of the work you’ve done.  There is some additional paperwork required so you’ll just have to decide if you are more willing to do the extra paperwork or pass the exam!  Just a reminder, Waiver requests are always at the discretion of the CSLB.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at