SBE News

Capitol Connection #1089

Let me introduce ‘the situation’ not a star of reality TV. We ‘finish’ a mistaken idea for one contractor before it gets started and ‘switch’ on and off for a “C-10”. But let’s ‘dive in’ as we begin ‘underwater’…

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol ConnectionQ:   Is there a specific contractor’s license for underwater construction and dock repairs?

A:   There is no specific classification for underwater construction and dock repairs, that is covered with the General Engineering license, which your company currently holds.

Q:  We have come in to a situation where we need to replace our Responsible Managing Employee (RME) on our license.  I know there is a time limit for completing this, and I’d like to have two of our employees apply to qualify so that we don’t run in to this in future where we are under a time crunch.  Is that possible?

A:  You can only have one Qualifier per classification and your license only holds the one “A” General Engineering classification.  While you can only have one Qualifier on your license, you can have other employees obtain Sole Proprietor licenses as a “back up”.  That way if your new Qualifier leaves the company, another licensed employee can be added to the license without the need for testing and fingerprinting, which will speed up the replacement process.

Q:  I am an attorney and have referred several contractors your way.  I have a client who holds a “C-6” (Carpentry) license.  Is he permitted to do exterior carpentry work such as decking, trusses, wood framing, etc?

A:  The “C-6” classification is for “Finish Carpentry” within structures such as cabinetry, millwork, etc.  what you described is “Rough Carpentry” which is covered by the “C-5” classification (Framing and Rough Carpentry).

Q:  A few years back your company helped me acquire my “C-10” Electrical license.  I am opening a new company that will be doing low-voltage home audio systems.  Can I do this work under my “C-10” license at the new company?

A:  No, if you will be doing business under a new entity, you will be required to get that company its own license, but yes, the C10 classification covers you to do low-voltage work.

Q:  You are helping us obtain a Contractor’s License in CA.  Once we obtain the license, is there anything we need to be aware of such as re-certification?

A:  The CSLB does not have a continuing education or continuing competency requirement.  Your license is up for renewal every two years, and you’ll just also want to make sure your Bonds and insurance remain updated.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at