SBE News

Capitol Connection #1048

A question this contractor’s expert won’t answer! But, first several I will. Sometimes you don’t need a ‘pro’ to engineer an update on your license, and we share condolences over a loss, that for a ‘partner’ also causes collateral damage beyond death…

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol ConnectionQ:  We need to obtain an “A” (General Engineering) license in California.   Are we required to have an employee who is a licensed Professional Engineer prior to getting a contractor’s license?

A:  No, it is not necessary to employ a Professional Engineer to qualify for a Contractor’s License.  You are required to have a Qualifying individual who is a bona fide employee or Officer, who can document at least four years of experience in the General Engineering trade.

Q: My Dad and I have a Contractor’s License, we are a Partnership.  My Dad is the General Partner and I am the Limited Partner on the license.  My father recently passed away.  What are the options me with regards to the license?  It is my understanding that when a Partner disassociates from the license or passes away, the license is canceled because the Partnership no longer exists.  However, is it possible for me to request a continuance to complete existing projects?

A:  You are correct that when a Partner disassociates or passes away (or if the Partnership dissolves), the license is canceled.  With regards to a continuance, B&P Code Section 7076 allows for a General Partner to request a continuance of the license to complete projects contracted for or in progress prior to the date of disassociation or dissolution.  The Code does not provide for Limited Partners to request a continuance.

Be sure to notify the CSLB in writing within 90 days of the dissolution of the Partnership.  Failure to notify the Registrar within 90 days of the disassociation/dissolution is grounds for disciplinary action.

You will need to apply for and obtain a new license to undertake new work and continue contracting. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Q:  My Dad is going to be retiring and I am replacing him as the RMO on our license.  He obtained the license over 40 years ago.  We have nine classifications, several which fall under the “C-61” (Limited Specialty) category.  When I was researching the classifications on the CSLB’s website, I see that one of our classifications, “C-61/D-51” no longer exists and it shows “Waterproofing and Weatherproofing – under relevant class.”  What is the “relevant class”?

A: The “D-51” (Waterproofing and Weatherproofing) was a “C-61” (Limited Specialty) category eliminated by the CSLB a number of years ago. This work now falls under any of several classifications, depending on the specific project you’re doing. The “relevant” classifications are “C-39 (Roofing), “C-33” (Painting), “C-29” (Masonry), or “C-54” (Tile). Therefore, if the waterproofing/weatherproofing you’re doing relates to roofing, you’ll need a “C-39”; if painting is your specialty, you’d need the “C-33”, and so on. Let us know if we can help further.

Q:  My employer has asked me to be the RME (Responsible Managing Employee) on the company’s license.  Do you know what the typical salary/compensation is for assuming the role of RME?

A:  We are asked this question frequently and unfortunately, we cannot address it.  We don’t get involved in that, it is up to you and your employer.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at