SBE News

Capitol Connection #1038

Law can cut a very fine line. That’s why experts discuss the interpretation of the rules which can change as written law meets the real world.  This distinction in regulation ‘sinks’ in for a Masonry contractor. Some ‘grass roots’ advice for a General before ‘tearing down’ a previous answer after further research with the CSLB. We’ll update a response on water and mold remediation in CA for a CO contractor…

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol ConnectionQ:  We currently have a “C-29” (Masonry) license.  Sometimes we install sink and faucet along with the countertop in bathroom and kitchens.  Do we need to have an additional classification to do this, or are we permitted to do it since it’s part of the countertop job?

A:  If you are only disconnecting and re-connecting the sink for the purpose of the countertop installation, then you do not need to have an additional classification.  However, if you are installing new connections or fixtures, then you should obtain a “C-36” (Plumbing) classification.  Your Plumbing Qualifier will need to show four years of full-time work experience doing plumbing work and take the exam(s).

Q:  I am a General Building contractor and one of my customers who I am doing some work for wants me to install synthetic turf in his back yard.  Am I permitted to do that as I’m doing other unrelated trades on the same job?

A:  A “B” (General Building) contractor cannot install synthetic turf.  You can include it in your contract as long as you subcontract the work to a licensed “C-27” (Landscaping) contractor or a “C-61”/”D12” (Synthetic Products) contractor.

Q:  We are a Colorado company looking to get licensed in California.  I saw a recent post you published in reference to the classification of licensure required for a contractor doing similar work to what we perform.  Our business is engaged in water and mold remediation. In the course of our work, we remove surface-level materials such as drywall, baseboards, flooring, countertops, and cabinets. We also detach sinks, toilets, dishwashers, washer/dryers, and other such appliances. We test for lead and asbestos when appropriate and allow licensed specialists to do that work when testing comes back positive. We do not touch anything electrical other than unplugging (from a socket…we do not touch anything hard-wired) a washer, dryer, dishwasher, or other appliance in order to move the appliance. We do not re-attach any plumbing fixtures. We do not install any materials such as drywall, paint, baseboards, cabinets, countertops, flooring, etc. We do not remove anything structural such as framing or shear wall. We allow licensed contractors to do all work involving re-attaching appliances or rebuilding the home.  You referenced the “B” General Building classification, however, we cannot document actual building experience.  What is your recommendation?

A: I’ve been asked this question frequently lately and after further discussing it with the Classification Deputy at the CSLB, to modify what I said previously, the “B” (General Building) classification would not be required to perform the work you described.  The “C-61”/”D-64” (Non-Specialized) classification would cover you for this work.  Bonus! The “C-61” classifications do not require a trade exam.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at