SBE News

Capitol Connection #1037

He is likely a gentleman, but isn’t an ‘Officer’! I ‘break down’ the issues on ‘General’ mold removal, while correcting another contractor that reaches an incorrect conclusion about having your cake and eating it too. I will ‘waive’ off his mistaken notions about reciprocity…

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol ConnectionQ:  My company does mold restoration, we tear out moldy wet drywall, cabinets, flooring, etc.  We do not “restore” or install anything.  My company has a “B” (General Contracting) license.  I want to get my own license and I’m wondering if I need to also have the “B” license, or would a Demolition license be more appropriate?

A: You would also need to have a General Building contractor’s license.  A “C-21” (Building Moving/Demolition) contractor demolishes or removes structures, but does not include the alterations, additions, repairs or rehabilitation of the permanently retained portions of such structures.

Q:  My son has been working for me for years.  He’s not an Officer of the company.  Is there any way to add him to the license?

A:  There are only two capacities in which an individual can be listed on a corporate license: either as an Officer or as the Qualifying Individual. So, the only way to add him to the license currently would be to replace you as the Qualifying Individual.

Q:  You recently helped me obtain a new CA license after my prior license was revoked.  I now need to get a contractor’s license in Arizona.  I read that, as long as I have had an Active license at some point within the past five years, and if I took an equivalent exam in another State, I can get a Waiver of the Trade exam in Arizona.  I took the law and trade exams in CA back in the 90’s and my new license is Active.  So I waive the exams in Arizona, correct?

A:  Actually, in your case, you will not be able to Waive the exams.  While you do meet the requirement of having an Active license within the past five years, the Arizona Registrar of Contractors will review all of your license history to see that you passed an equivalent exam, and because you took the exam for a license that is now “revoked,” you cannot qualify for reciprocity.   You will be required to take both the Trade and Management exams.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at