SBE News

Capitol Connection #1034

Some ‘back and forth’ is required to ease into licensing in Arizona and California. I complete the western state ‘hat trick’ with a Nevada question I won’t answer! Wrapping up with the answer to an ‘open and shut’ question…

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol ConnectionQ:  We are looking to get licensed in California and Arizona.  Do you recommend that we start with CA and then move to AZ or vice versa?  We are looking for the best route for ease and Reciprocity purposes.

A: For Reciprocity, you should do CA first and then AZ. Arizona only requires that you pass the equivalent exam and have been licensed for at least one day in another State, whereas CA requires that you have been licensed in AZ, NV, or UT for a period of five years before you qualify for Reciprocity.

Q:  You helped me get my Nevada “B-2” license last year.  I recently sold a job to remodel a bathroom in a mobile home.  It is my understanding my “B-2” license will not work and I will need either a GS1 or a GS2 license to do this work.  Are you familiar with this licensing?

A:  No, I’m not familiar with a GS1 or GS2 license.  Mobile home work in NV is governed by Nevada Manufactured Housing and we don’t deal with that agency.

Q:  Can a person be an RMO in California without any ownership in the corporation?

A:  Yes, Responsible Managing Officers are not required to have ownership.

Q: Does Nevada have Reciprocity for a CA “C-16” (Fire Protection) to obtain a NV “C-41”?

A:  Yes.  If an individual has been actively licensed in CA for five out of the last seven years AND they took the trade exam in CA, they can qualify for Reciprocity which will grant a Waiver of the trade exam and he/she will not have to provide references or a resume.

Q:  My son has been working for me since 2001 but I only made him an Officer in 2014.  Will he be able to Waive the exams if we want to have him replace me on the license?

A:  If your son can show that he has worked for you in a supervisory capacity for five out of the last seven years he can request a Waiver of the exams.  Keep in mind that is a request and the CSLB reviews these on a case by case basis.  I would recommend he submit five years of W-2’s with the application.

Q:  One of my colleagues informed me that when he obtained his Arizona license, the law portion of the exam was open book.  Is it the same in California?

A:  No, the California law exam is a closed book exam.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at