SBE News

Capitol Connection #1031

Better late than never? No! Not for licensed contractors. A Nevada General ‘stacks’ up his experience but discovers he won’t get a ‘reciprocal’ free ride or avoid being ‘tested’ in California. First, timing is everything in more than just comedy…(rimshot?)

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol ConnectionQ:  Our RME (Responsible Managing Employee) recently left the company.  We have already submitted an application to add a new Qualifying Individual and he has already passed the exams, but now the CSLB is asking for a Bond for him.  We already have one on file for our former Qualifier which we just renewed prior to him giving notice.  Aren’t they able to transfer it somehow?

A:  No, unfortunately, bonds are not transferable.  A Bond of Qualified Individual is issued specifically in the name of the RMO/RME, so you will need to obtain a new $12,500 Bond in your new qualifier’s name.

Q:  I have a corporation in Nevada and California and I was previously licensed in both States.  What is the cost to renew my licenses in each State?

A:  I looked up your licenses and they are “expired” and have been for over five years.  In California, once your license has been expired for a period of five years you can no longer renew it.  You will be required to apply for a new license and re-take the exams.  In Nevada, once your license has been expired for a period of six months, you can no longer renew your license.  Also, since it has been more than five years since you were acting as the Qualifier on a license in Nevada, you will need to re-test and provide references when you apply for the new license.

The CA State license/application fee is $480.  The NV State license/application fee is a total of $900.  In both States your license is renewed every two years.

Q:  I have a Contractor license in Nevada and I want to obtain the same license in California.  In Nevada I have a “B-2” (Residential and Small Commercial) license.  This allows me to do General Contracting work under three stories in height.  What would be the equivalent license in California?  Will I be able to take advantage of the reciprocal agreement between these states?

A:  As you may know, in Nevada the only difference between the “B” & “B-2” classifications is the “B” classification allows a contractor to build any structure from the ground up, regardless of height.  “B-2” Contractors cannot work on structures over three stories.  California does not have an “equivalent” to the “B-2” but the “B”(General Building) would be most appropriate.  Unlike Nevada, California does not require that you document experience working on structures over three stories in height in order to qualify for the “B”.  You will just need to document at least four years of full time work experience performing/supervising General Building work.

As far as Reciprocity, Nevada’s “B-2” is not reciprocal with California’s “B” classification so both the law and trade exams will be required.

Contractor’s Note: Application fees rise on July 1, 2017, so save money by using the time now and give us a call if you need assistance to beat the clock!

By Shauna Krause, President, Capitol Services, Inc.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at