SBE News

Capitol Connection 04/26/2021

Experience Waivers, Subsidiary Companies and “C-10” For Overhead/underground Power Distribution

Our first contractor is ‘testing’ the waters for a waiver, while another is really a ‘spin-off’ problem. I also assist in sorting out the general rules in ‘engineering’ our final answer for a Builder’s Exchange member…

Q:  My Texas company wants to obtain a CA license for several projects we have been awarded IF we have the license.  My company wants me to be the Qualifier on their General Building license because I am the most qualified person in our company, but to be honest, I am 54 years old.  I know how to pass an exam and I’ve done it for several States in the past, but I just don’t want to sit for exams anymore.  I also have a college degree.  I’ve seen on your website there is a way to qualify for a Waiver.  Can you help with that?

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol Connection

A:  Thank you for contacting Capitol Services Inc.  Your college degree will gain you credit for the work experience requirement (up to three years, depending on your degree and the classes you took), but you absolutely need to have at least one year of experience working hands-on in the field. Waivers are a request for consideration from the CSLB, but you need to have all your ‘ducks in a row’ before asking. 

Q:  Our company has an opportunity for a very large contract in California.  Our Parent Company is registered and licensed in California with an “A” General Engineering license.  Can we, as a subsidiary, work under our Parent company’s license?

A:  It is never acceptable to work under another entity’s license.  The Company signing the contract, as well as the entity performing the work, both need to be properly licensed.  Give me a call if you would like to discuss how this may be able to work.

Q: I read your columns in the local Builder’s Exchange magazines.  I have a question for you.  Doesn’t the “C-10” cover overhead and underground power transmission and distribution line, substations, and solar/wind farm construction?  The company in question was attempting to apply for the “A” and I told them I didn’t think they would qualify based on their scope of work.

A:  This work kind of tiptoes around the “A” or General Engineering classification though and if there is any specialized engineering involved, the “A” classification would be the most appropriate. A high-rise building with a complex foundation would likely require the “A” license.

Some paperwork delays remain as Covid rules are still keeping some government agency staff at home, but progress is coming as CSLB Testing Centers are open again. If you need expert assistance quickly, give us a call or email your question and I can likely provide insight on it immediately.