SBE News

Capitol Connection #1076

We start this helping of contractor Q and A by serving up a ‘pole-ish’ answer. With all the work on the ‘table’ now is exactly the right time to start to get a license application cooking! For another there is ‘conviction’ in my response but hope in this answer…

Shauna Krause, writer of Capitol ConnectionQ: I am a Texas company and we inspect telephone poles. I have a customer who wants us to come to California and do work for them, and they have requested that we obtain a “C-6”1/”D-64” (Non-Specialized) contractor’s license. I just want to make sure that is the proper classification for what we are doing. We design the project, put the plans together, and then inspect the final product when the installation company is finished.

A: If you aren’t contracting for any installation of the poles, no contractor’s license is required. You can design, even supply the poles, and do a final inspection without the need for a Contractor’s license. The classification most closely related to what you do though would be the “C-61”/”D-31”(Pole Installation and Maintenance) contractor. However, in order to qualify for that, you would have to document experience installing and maintaining telephone poles.

Q: I have worked for a HVAC company for many years and I want to get my own license. A couple of years ago I was convicted of a construction related violation which resulted in a misdemeanor. I paid all the necessary fines and did community service. In your opinion, do you think I can still qualify for a license?

A: After we discussed the details of your conviction over the phone, I would suggest you wait three years from the date of the conviction to apply for a license. However, as we discussed there is no way to know the answer to your question for sure. The CSLB reviews applicants backgrounds on a case-by-case basis. The only way to find out whether you are eligible for a license is to submit an application, disclose your conviction on a Background Disclosure statement, and let the CSLB review it. I hope it works out for you.

Q: We have an LLC whose single member is a Corporation. I understand on the contractor’s license application we are required to have one of the Corporation’s Officers or Directors sign on behalf of this company. Will this individual be required to get fingerprinted?

A: No, only direct personnel of the applying entity are required to be fingerprinted.

Q: One of the individuals who is listed on our license was bought out so he is no longer a Member. Do we need to notify the Board? He is still with the company and is an Officer.

A: Yes, you will want to notify the CSLB of this change. First, you will need to update the CA Secretary of State by filing a new Statement of Information. Then with the CSLB, you need to file an “Application to Report Change of Title for Current Officer or Personnel of Existing Corporate or Limited Liability Company License”. Contact our office if you’d assistance with these forms. We hand deliver documents to the Secretary of State and the licensing board.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 1225 8th St. Ste. 500, Sacramento, CA 95814. Research past columns at